How to find consumers
Consumers and community members can be found via a number of platforms. Below are some recommendations on how to find consumers.
- Contact the peak consumer organisations for the health condition – most of these organisations have a consumer and community engagement person who can assist you by distributing an advertisement or invitation via their member base.
- Contact support groups – these groups may be online or host face-to-face meetings in community buildings.
- Contact with patients – Health professionals may come into contact with patients that might be interested in being a consumer through clinical practice or collegial networks.
- People you may know – ask community members or patients you already know about additional people who might be interested in engaging.
- Promotion – advertise in clinical departments or through community groups.
- Use social or print media.
Monash Partners has connections with consumer and community organisations and can facilitate engagement. Please contact Monash Partners for assistance.
I found consumers to join my project by handing out a small flyer to the patients that my colleagues and I saw at clinic. It worked well and it was a way for me to put something in the consumers hand to remind them to think about becoming involved once they’d left the clinic. We also had a chance to follow up on their next visit.