Implementing Improvement in Healthcare Program
Healthcare in the 21st century is increasingly complex, challenging and unsustainable. At this time, we see how critical a high-performing healthcare system is to public health and safety; a continuous healthcare improvement approach is vital to achieving this.
The Implementing Improvement in Practice Healthcare Program has been co-designed by Monash Partners and Monash Centre for Health Research and Implementation (MCHRI), School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, to strengthen healthcare improvement through intensive coaching and training that supports the real-world application of implementation science methods in health service settings.
We aim to build internal capability and capacity in our health services to support a culture of improvement based on evidence-informed approaches. Through the Program, participants will strengthen their understanding of the principles and theories of implementation science. There will be opportunities to build connections across the Monash Partners network of health service organisations. The Program aims to develop individual skills, confidence, and leadership to implement evidence-informed healthcare improvement.
What is involved?
Our 2022 Program is designed to support the implementation of health-service based projects that will be undertaken over 12 months. Participants will be required to conceptualise the project before joining the Program. The project may be about to start or at an early stage. Participants will have access to an implementation coach as well as intensive training workshops, networking events, direct feedback and tools.
The Program consists of two major components over 12 months (shown below).
1. Practical Intensive Training & Coaching
The Implementing Improvement in Healthcare Program will be delivered by the Monash Centre for Health Research and Implementation (MCHRI) and consists of the following components:
• Practice Intensive training consists of three workshops. Three teaching and interactive workshops and up to six collaborative coaching sessions over a period of 12 months. An application to join is required.
• Monthly collaborative coaching webinars provide access to coaching support and tools to support implementation into practice. Webinars will be interactive to facilitate understanding of concepts and provide insights on how to achieve practical solutions. More team members are welcome to attend the collaborative coaching webinars. There will be opportunities to build connections and for system learning. Participants will contribute to the webinars by sharing their experiences designing and delivering their projects and applying the concepts discussed in the workshops.
Who is this training for?
• All clinicians, health service managers and researchers actively responsible for delivering improvement within a Monash Partners health service setting (researchers must include a health service partner in their project proposal).
• Healthcare teams planning to start a project in 2022 who would benefit from the direct application of new learnings to real-time projects.
• Individuals who want to deepen their skills, confidence and knowledge to facilitate evidence-informed improvement in their teams.
Eligibility criteria (for Monash Partners members)
To be eligible for the Practical Intensive Training & Coaching, applicants must have an appointment with one of Monash Partners' health service members. These include:
• Alfred Health • Eastern Health • Monash Health • Cabrini • Epworth • Peninsula Health • Latrobe Regional Hospital
Alternatively, researchers must have a Monash Partners health service partner.
Selection criteria and Guideline for Application
The numbers are capped for the Practical Intensive Training & Coaching to ensure high-quality engagement in the applied learning experience; as such, a competitive application is requested.
The application requires information about the applicant, reasons for applying, the proposed project and evidence of organisational support.
Before applying, please review the Guideline for Application.
Extension to application closure date, now due by 31 March 2022.
Program overview continued
The second component of the Program is:
2. Implementation & Improvement Network
Participants of the Program will also have the opportunity to share and learn through our networking events as part of the Implementation & Improvement Network. These events will feature online sessions with guest speakers and experts, group discussions and networking opportunities.
These sessions are open to anyone interested in integrating implementation science into improvement practices. Monash Partners will advertise sessions in advance. Attendance at these events is optional.
There is no cost to join our Implementation & Improvement Network.
Still want to know more?
Applications open from 7 December 2021
Extension to application closure now due: 31 March 2022
Applicant notification: 9 April 2022
Refer to the Guideline for Application for training dates
Cost for the Practical Intensive Training and Coaching
1 person - Monash Partners member $1,950; non-Monash Partners member $2,350 (excluding GST)
2 people (same project) - Monash Partners member $1,750; non-Monash Partners member $2,150 (excluding GST)
3 people (same project) - Monash Partners member $1,550pp; non-Monash Partners member $1,950 (excluding GST)
Guideline for Application
Download the Guideline for Application HERE
Apply online HERE